[mythtv-users] Operating System of choice ?

gLaNDix (Jesse Kaufman) glandix at lloydnet.org
Fri Aug 5 22:16:38 UTC 2005

mythtv at sci.fi wrote:
> The question is, why are so many using Fedora Core as the platform for
> MythTV, at least what I've read the archives of this mailing list, quite
> many are using Fedora Core, so is there a reason for that ?

i think the two biggest reasons are: ease of use and Jarod's guide
(www.wilsonet.com)

> Also has anybody used MythTV on OpenBSD ?

not that i know of ... i use gentoo for backend and (for the time being)
slackware-current for frontend (tho' I want to move both to gentoo one
of these days)

> I'm a big fan of OpenBSD, for it's
> stability as well as it's security. So if there's no big/real drawbacks
> I would prefer OpenBSD for both the back- and frontend,

i'm guessing backend would be fine, but frontend is where you'll most
likely get into issues ... namely display drivers ... does nVidia or ATI
provide drivers for *BSD?  or, if you're not using NV or ATI cards, does
your card manufacturor provide drivers or are there OS drivers already?

> although I have
> an itch that Fedora Core would be "better" suited for the job.

i would guess that any linux might be better suited for the job of
frontend than a *BSD merely because of the work gone into linux for use
as HTPC compared to *BSD

-g-