[mythtv-users] Need advice on 2nd PVR...250 or 500?

Garry Cook garrycook at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 04:43:47 UTC 2005

On 4/22/05, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  I'm looking for some advice on a 2nd capture card.  I currently have a
> PVR-250, and an debating the merits of another PVR-250, versus the
> dual-tuner PVR-500.
>
>  Some background:  I built my 0.17 myth system using Jarod's excellent guide
> and Axel's stable packages.  Last I checked, the ivtv driver that supports
> the 500 is still in testing.  If this is still the case, and the stability
> is not quite there yet, I prefer to stay away from that.  However, I'm
> really torn because for about the same price ($140 retail), I can get the
> 500 and its dual tuners, and then I'd have 3 tuners to play with, or I could
> just unload my existing 250, defray most of the cost of the 500, and still
> have 2 tuners.
>
>  What would you do?  Get another PVR-250, or bite the bullet and get the
> PVR-500?

I bit that bullet a few weeks ago. Picked up a PVR500MCE on ebay, and
threw it in the box with my dual 250s. It took a few hours of
fiddling, and some posts to the list, but it's been working very well
now with the ivtv drivers for about 2-3 weeks. I've got 4 tuners
total, all with perfect sound and video. Jarod's guide was very
helpful in getting the 500 setup.
I say "Go for it!"

-- Garry