[mythtv-users] Re: Sounds woes, FC3 Install using Jarod's Guide

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 20:51:29 UTC 2005

On 4/20/05, Nate Thompson <nightstrm at gmail.com> wrote:
> That never seems to work properly for me. After doing the store, it
> would work fine until I rebooted, and I'd have to reload alsamixer and
> reset a couple switches before the sound would work. I've found by
> leaving dmix open all the time in the background, the settings seem to
> survive a reboot without any problems.
>
> Not sure why this is, 'aslactl store/restore' worked fine when I was
> running FC2.
>
> Nate

Nate,

One way I get around this problem (using FC2 and Alsa 1.08) is to save
the settings to a different file, which I then restore in rc.local. I
seemed to notice that the settings that were being saved to the
regular alsamixer store file was not including the info I was setting
in the mixer, so by manually storing to another file whilst the mixer
had the correct settings I could ensure my desired settings were
always loaded:

/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /etc/asound.state.pvr store    ## after setting the mixer
/usr/sbin/alsactl -f /etc/asound.state.pvr restore   ## in rc.local to
load desired settings

HTH,
Nick