[mythtv-users] PVR-250 is hot! hot! hot!

Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu Micah.Wedemeyer at gtri.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 20 15:04:57 UTC 2005

Hi,

My Myth box has extremely poor ventilation, and subsequently, runs very
hot.  I wanted it to be extra quiet, so I shut off all the rear exhaust
fans except the PSU fan.  The PSU fan is pretty slow; I've reduced fan
speed (with a FanMate) for the CPU fan, and I let the GPU (Geforce4
Ti4200) go full speed.  All in all, pretty quiet.

As for temps, it's another story.  I don't have lm_sensors working
(something about their eeprom module causing issues with ivtv's
tveeprom).  However, my case has some temp sensors.  The heatsink on the
CPU is about 64C, and the internal case temp is up there as well.
However, I think this is still within spec (AMD Sempron), so I'm fine
with it.  I might undervolt the CPU a little, to see if that would help.
Anyways, I don't care about temps as long as it's not causing problems.

My cause for concern, however, is the PVR-250.  It has no fan on it, and
it is getting much hotter than anything else in the case.  I taped a
temp sensor on the back of the card, and it routinely gets up to 74C.  I
can't find any specs on the operating range for it.  Has anyone had any
problems with their PVR-250 overheating?  What are the symptoms.

Thanks,
Micah