[mythtv-users] Samba or NFS?

Robert Denier denier at umr.edu
Sun Apr 10 23:57:54 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-10 at 08:48 +0100, David Morrison wrote:

> Robert Johnston wrote:
>
> > On Apr 9, 2005 3:49 PM, John Andersen <jsa at video.homelinux.org>
> > wrote:

> >> Oh for pete's sake..... Someone is worried about efficiency
> >> enough to think about abandoning Samba for some supposed slight
> >> advantage of nfs and you propose adding an encryption layer in
> >> there?
> >>
> >> Network security should be handled at the network level not the
> >> file system level.
> >

> > And if he's using 802.11x, he should at least have WEP, if not WPA,
> > enabled
>
> I use WEP so I'm happy with that. Adding an encrypted file system =
> more data to transmit = slower performance.

Two trivial notes.  If you use WEP you may not want to use any automatic
utility an access point or something comes with to change a password
into a key since some of these are inherently flawed in there
generation.

Secondly, WEP does add a little to the packet overhead.  I myself live
in the country where someone would literally have to sneak a laptop up
fairly close to my house to do anything, in which case one definitely
has other problems requiring policeman.  I'm certainly not recommending
anyone avoid encryption on a wireless link, its just sometimes physical
boundaries are adequate as they are for wired ethernet.

Now if you wanted something much more secure you could take a look at my
phd project on my web page.  The test code there only works on cards
that use the orinoco drivers right now though.  There has been
insufficient interest to make it work in general.  To be honest, most
people do not need that level of security anyway.

Of course moving away from WEP into WPA would definitely be a good idea
if you live in a non rural area, since WEP is well not so hot.

> Dave

Robert Denier (denier at umr.edu)
PhD Electrical Engineering (May 2005)
University of Missouri-Rolla