[mythtv-users] Re: Does transcoding remove commercials?

Don Brett dlbrett at zoominternet.net
Mon Nov 29 21:43:28 UTC 2004

Oh..., Ok, then I'll stop trying to get it to work!  Does that explain
the infinitely large files that get created when I tried it?  It just
keeps going until I kill it manually.

I have to say though, I'm astounded.  Of all the really cool things the
MythTv does, I would have thought that would have been one of the first
features to do.  Was the cutlist meant only for skipping commercials
during playback?

Thanks for the heads-up,
Don

PS - This line from the documentation that faked-me-out:

FAQ section
"The transcoder can be used in two ways:

- Automatically re-encode every file once it has completed recording
- After marking commercials, the transcoder can be run manually to
delete the commercials from the file (thus further saving space) "