[mythtv-users] RCA DirecTV serial cable

Kris.S.Boultbee Kris.S.Boultbee at delphi.com
Thu Nov 18 15:40:45 UTC 2004

First of all direct information about controlling a DirecTV tuner seems to very hard to come by. I've been searching for the last two days to find what I need and I've come up with nearly nothing.

Anyway, on to my question.

I have made me a serial cable that works great with the Windows control program. So I know the cable works. The problem is that when I download the rca.pl it does nothing and when I use the sony.pl script it just resets the receiver. I don't know the model number of the receiver off the top of my head but I do know that it supports the new command set and not he old. I also am fairly well versed in perl.

I changed the baud rate in the sony.pl script and it still rests the receiver when I run the following command:

# sony.pl 354

Obviously I'm trying to change to channel 354. Bottom line is that I have no clue what is going on.

Also, how do you tell myth to use the script? I think you go to the section for the external channel change command and put /usr/local/bin/sony.pl in there but I'm not certain. This is also something that seems quite vague.

Any help you guys can provide would be appreciated.

Note: The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and thus protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank you.