[mythtv-users] Preserving HDTV AC3 audio stream whilst transcoding

Stephen Hocking shocking at houston.rr.com
Wed Nov 17 21:23:12 UTC 2004

All,

Am enjoying the combo of a pcHDTV card, Linux and Mythtv quite a bit
with HDTV's AC3 sound routed via SPDIF to my home theatre amp. However,
I don't have quite the CPU required to view HDTV (1920x1080i) live or
recorded via the relevant MythTV modules (even though pcHDTV's xine will
chug along at 60% CPU whilst watching live TV). So, what I'd like to
do is transcode them down to a smaller resolution after recoding. I've
tried doing that, but it

a) Keeps the resolution the same (1920x1080i), even when the transcoding
profile specifies 1024x576.

b) Mangles the AC3 stream into 2 channel audio, giving a bunch of static. This
happens even when I choose uncompressed and 48000 as the sample rate in the
transcoding profile.

What am I doing wrong? Has anyone else been able to do this?

	Stephen
--
  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn