[mythtv-users] Congress to Make Commercial Skipping Illegal

George Galt george.galt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 21:42:46 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 14:59:42 -0500, Matt Mossholder <matt at mossholder.com> wrote:
>  Not to say that this law is any good, but I think we are missing its
> intended target:
>  DVDs
>
>  The way I read it, this is aimed at making sure people have to watch
> previews.
>  They don't care if you skip them without changing the content. BUT, if you
> rip the DVD,
>  and modify it, they want to put the smack-down on you.
>
>  I don't even think they CARE about the typical HTPC type user, who is
> ripping their own
>  DVDs for storage/playback. They are looking at this as another offense to
> take on to the list of
>  other offenses that people who are distributing content over the internet
> might have
>  brought against them.
>
>  The wording of the bill specifically states this is for motion pictures as
> well.  If this applied to
>  broadcast content, even movies over broadcast, you would have problems,
> such as cable
>  providers not being able to insert local advertising. And since the
> copyright on the commercials
>  (generally) aren't owned by the company that owns the copyright on the
> movie, my guess is
>  that enforcing this for broadcast content is almost impossible.
>
>  I'm still calling my Senators, though. I hate this crap.
>

>          --Matt

Matt:

FYI, the use of the term "motion picture" in the bill means "motion
picture" as defined by the Copyright Act.  Section 101 of the
Copyright Act defines a "motion picture" as "audiovisual works
consisting of a series of related images which, when shown in
succession, impart an impression of motion, together with accompanying
sounds, if any."

Under this definition, virtually anything on TV is considered a
"motion picture" under the Copyright Act.  While I agree that the
original issue addressed by the bill was DVDs, it sweeps ALL TV
broadcasts within this definition.

George