[mythtv-users] Keeping new shows seperate from syndicate

Kevin Kuphal kuphal at dls.net
Thu Nov 11 18:57:50 UTC 2004

Ryan Steffes wrote:

>On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 11:41:31 -0600, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
>

>>Ryan Steffes wrote:
>>

>>>I'm looking for a way to keep new shows but overwrite reruns if it's possible.
>>>
>>>The way I have it set now is that CSI (for example) is recorded new on
>>>Thursday nights, but it gets catagorized with the shows on Spike TV
>>>that rerun several times a day.  I have the same issue with other
>>>shows, such as Saturday Night Live.  What I'd like is to have the new
>>>show flagged undeletable until I get a chance to watch it, not
>>>overwritten when the other schedule policy fires to only keep 3
>>>episodes of CSI.
>>>

>>Maybe you could set up two different schedules.  One that records (for
>>example) CSI on your CBS station only weekly in that timeslot and
>>another that records CSI on any channel at any time (for SpikeTV). You
>>can set different retention policies on each program  and I believe that
>>the weekly timesolt program will take precendence over the any time any
>>channel program when scheduling occurs.
>>
>>Kevin

>That's how I have, but what happens is I'll have the policy set to
>say, 3.  When the Thursday night policy goes it records it anyway
>because that policy is unlimited.  What can happen though is over the
>next day or two, more than 3 reruns can get recorded, and it'll delete
>the new show.  I have it set to keep new expire old, which is how I
>want it, but I want it to REALLY keep first run shows, and cycle
>through rerun shows.

So you have one schedule or two?  I would have expected that the two
schedules would have operated independently when it comes to
expiration.  From what you said it sounds like an episode from Schedule
1 is being deleted to make room for an episode from Schedule 2 which
only makes sense if the max episodes code is looking at titles only and
not differentiating between the two schedules.

>Hmm that does make me think though, does the Keep new expire old
>follow autoexpire rules?  Maybe I could set the new shows to not auto
>expire and set the old ones to expire.  Not sure if that'll work
>though.

No, Keep X number and Auto-expire are two very different features.