[mythtv-users] Urgent question about the pcHDTV 3000

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Wed Nov 10 21:19:13 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 15:30, Shawn wrote:
> On the website it says it only support terrestrial HDTV broadcasts,
> and not cable HDTV.
>
> Does this mean it could not accept a video input from the cable
> company's HDTV tuner?
>
> I was expecting to be able to use the pcHDTV 3000 like I currently
> use my PVR-250, and that is as an SVIDEO capture with myth
> controlling channels via serial cable.

No point in getting a pcHDTV card if that's your plan.  The pcHDTV does
NOT encode to MPEG.  If you use it as an analog tuner, then you get raw
unencoded video, just as if you were using a regular WinTV bttv card.
The reason the pcHDTV can give you MPEG-2 encoded HD content is because
the digital tv signal is already encoded as MPEG-TS.  That's the real
benefit of the pcHDTV cards; they give you access to the 'real' MPEG-2
HD stream, whereas the s-video method gives you a standard NTSC stream
(non-HD).

If you want hardware encoding of raw video (either OTA or via svideo
from a STB), then stick with the PVR-250.

-JAC