[mythtv-users] Epia M: diskless frontend or pvr-350-based back/front end?

Phil Blundell pb at nexus.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 12:13:44 UTC 2004

on Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 03:35:03PM -0500, Peter Lee wrote:
> The advantage of (1) is that I can move my current setup and replace
> it with a diskless/fanless frontend.  But how well does the TV-out
> work on the Epia?  And is minimyth (and the like) up to 0.16 yet?  I
> see that some people have 0.16 for netboot set up, so that seems OK.
>
> The advantage of (2) seems to be that I wouldn't have to worry as much
> about the unichrome drivers working, and I'd have a setup that could
> work even if the master backend goes away (right?).  On the other
> hand, the recent via epia thread seems to indicate some dma problems?

It does seem that some folks have had problems with lockups on the EPIA
when a hard disk is fitted.  I'm running my ME6000 as a diskless
frontend, booted over the network, and haven't experienced any lockups.

I use a custom-built frontend image with current (ish) CVS versions of
X.org, unichrome, and mythtv.  The TV-out seems to work fine, though I'm
still tweaking my video modes.

p.