[mythtv-users] Motherboard Cap Problem

Yan-Fa Li yanfali at best.com
Thu Nov 4 21:21:38 UTC 2004

FYI

You guys have probably seen this already, but I am re-posting because it
looks like some stability problems I'm having with a particular Soyo
board right now are being caused by this stuff:

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Feb/bch20030207018535.htm

It's especially prevalant in boards built between 2001-2003 for P3 and
AMD stuff.  Most of the newer boards in the channel should be ok, but if
you're experiencing random reboots and failures on older systems it
might pay to look at the power capacitors and see if any are leaking goop.

Caps brands that seem to be affected from the bad generation: Wendell,
GSC and Rulycon (This is a knock off of a known brand called Rubycon).
The board I'm diagnosing is a SOYO and I think this is the problem
because I found some old MSI boards that I don't use for much other than
testing which are leaking visibly and they have Wendell brand caps on them.

All in all, to fix one board is going to cost me $20 in parts.  :(
There's even a guy who does this for a living:

http://www.motherboardrepair.com/

Yan