[mythtv-users] PVR-250 + pcHDTV, myth 0.16, initial setup problem bttv called with NTSC videomode

Jarod Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon Nov 1 17:10:53 UTC 2004

On Monday 01 November 2004 05:57, Cory Papenfuss wrote:
> > Not at the same time as using the card for ATSC, no. The problem is that
> > one addresses capture cards in Myth by their device node. The pcHDTV
> > cards have two device nodes, /dev/video32 or /dev/dtv0 for HD,
> > /dev/video0 for SD. You can define both in Myth, but then Myth thinks
> > there are two different cards, and scheduling havoc ensues...
> >
> >> Maybe with the HD-3000...
> >
> > Shouldn't be much of any difference, the 3000 and the 2000 operate pretty
> > much identically in this respect, so far as I know.
>
>  	... they both basically use the BT8xx chip as a DMA and PCI-bus
> arbitrator.  It makes a lot of sense since then it technically *can*
> capture NTSC.

Yup. I think the only major functional difference between the two is that the
HD-2000 is a bttv card in NTSC mode, the HD-3000 is a cx88 card in NTSC mode.
I had no problems viewing NTSC material w/my HD-2000 (outside Myth).

>  	Maybe the killer vid card would be to add an Oren chip to a
> PVR-150.  If the CX25840 chip could also get/put data from the HD Oren
> decoder, it would be a combo SD/HD MPEG2 capture card.  Probably a bit
> too spiffy to hope for.... :)

That would definitely be nifty... Or if that isn't entirely feasible, maybe a
PVR-500 with one input for HD, one for SD... You can always hope!

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com

Got a question? Read this first...