[mythtv-users] *huge* difference in picture quality..

Henk Poley hpoley at dds.nl
Wed May 26 13:58:14 EDT 2004

Op woensdag 26 mei 2004 17:24, schreef Grant Edwards:
> On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 05:04:11PM +0200, Henk Poley wrote:
> >> just thought I'd share.. I wasn't aware of the fact that
> >> composite is *so* much better than coax...
>
> I'm curious. I know what composite video is, and I know what
> coax is.  All the composite cables I have are coax.  Here in
> the US, composite video connectors on AV gear are always
> coaxial connectors (commonly called "RCA jacks").
>
> > It shouldn't... Coax is shielded and has thicker wires,
> > composite cables are regularly not shielded. Though it's
> > probably that the cable box just has really bad coax output,
> > possibly even with something like macrovision applied.
>
> In this usage what do you guys mean by "coax" and "composite"?
>
> Are composite video connectors and cables in the UK not
> coaxial?

Hmm, I know composite as thin (say 1.5mm) cables, that's with plastic
insulation. And coax as those thick (5-6mm) stuff that comes in 2 variations,
bendable and 'almost not bendable'. Even the core of 'coax' is almost as
thick as the composite (yellow 'tulip'/RCA plug) cables I have.

But well, I'm not that informed, so YMMV :-P

	Henk Poley <><