[mythtv-users] MythTV Works! Now for some questions...

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Mon May 24 19:15:14 EDT 2004

On Monday 24 May 2004 11:46, Josh wrote:
> Thanks to everyone that has helped me get my MythTV system operational!  I
> have a few questions from a newbie perspective that I hope someone will
> lower themselves to help me with.
>
> First, is there a way to watch LiveTV while recording?  I only have one
> PVR-350 card, I didn't know if this was accomplishable using a cable toggle
> or some kind of workaround.  I know TiVo has a way to wire things up that
> allows you to bomb out while it is recording to your standard cable hookup
> and watch TV regularly.

Nope, the card can only handle one input at a time. I just switch to another
input on my TV (but of course, that's problematic if you don't have multiple
inputs on your TV).

> Secondly, I notice that my X-Windows is too large for my TV screen, and
> despite what resolution settings I change it to it remains this way.  I
> also lose mouse support when X is run through my PVR-350 TV-out.  This is
> not a big issue, but it is an annoyance.  I am using the XF86Config from
> Jarod's guide. Is there a way to resolve this?

You may have a different mouse type connected than I did, so the mouse type
spec'd in my config file may not match. (I was using a USB mouse). As for the
resolution, that's the way it is. You have to adjust Myth's display area
within it, which I believe others already replied about in this thread, so I
won't.

[snip]

> Finally, is there a tutorial anywhere for compiling the CVS version of
> MythTV? I was able to resolve the DirectDownload guide problem myself, but
> I'd rather stay with a version that handles things natively without my
> unskilled self dinking with it too much.

Either like Dan said, or install from Axel's myth-cvs rpms. Just enable
at-bleeding in /etc/apt/sources.list, then apt-get update, apt-get install
all the mythtv components. It may not get you the very latest and greatest,
but it is recent enough that it works w/DD.

http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/myth-cvs/

- --
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE
jcw at wilsonet.com