[mythtv-users] Feature request. MythVideo folder browser.

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Sun May 23 12:13:58 EDT 2004

Note:  In no way shape or form should anything I say here be considered
a flame,attack or insult.

Phill Wiggin wrote:

> Users got irate because of the _way_ developers said "contribute code"
> it was rude and unhelpful.

There's a apparently a disconnect here between some of the developers
and some of the users is terms of what's considered rude.  If a
developer says something like "Looks great, look forward to your
patches. " that's not being rude.  It may be terse/short/blunt/to the
point but by and large developers aren't one to sugar coat things.  I
kindly submit that the response *is* helpful, it lets the user know that
unless they do it themselves it's not likely to get done.  The developer
*could* have said  "you flaming sack of cow turds how dare you suggest
anything" but instead he gave a short and too-the-point answer.

Here's a good general rule:  If a developer isn't swearing at you,
calling you names or questioning your intelligence he's not *trying* to
be rude.  Things would go a lot smoother if non-developers would try to
not get offended unless it's perfectly clear that was the intent of the
developer.  Because, frankly, we're always going to be blunt, crude,
sarcastic bastards.