[mythtv-users] Problems Running PVR-350 and PVR-250MCE together

Alan Carlson ACarlson at PHN-WACO.ORG
Fri May 21 10:09:27 EDT 2004

My Myth box runs great on my PVR-350. I decided to pick up some more
cards and I ordered three of the $88 - PVR250MCE on eBay ($86 now - fast
shipping too!). I have read somewhere that someone had them working in
the same box together.

I knew that the stock 0.1.9 IVTV driver chokes on  PVR-250MCE and hangs
the system during the  "/sbin/modprobe ivtv" because it cannot resolve
the proper card type.

To get the PVR-250MCE cards to run first I downloaded the 0.1.9 source
and applied the IVTV 0.1.9 cardtype patch  from
(http://www.pcalchemy.com/downloads.php?parent_id=1). With this driver
loaded, I could run fine with just the PVR-350 card in the box with the
IVTV section of the /etc/modules.conf set as follows:

# ivtv modules setup
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=2 # NTSC tuner
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

If  I change the "options ivtv" line to "options ivtv ivtv_debug=1
cardtype=2,2,2 mpg_buffers=90" and then I pull the PVR-350 and drop the
three PVR-250MCE in the box, all three of the PVR-250MCE run great.

However, if I change the "options ivtv" line to "options ivtv
ivtv_debug=1 cardtype=,2 mpg_buffers=90" and I put the PVR-350 next to
the video card and drop a PVR-250MCE in the next slot, the system hangs
at the "/sbin/modprobe ivtv".  It is my understanding that the
"cardtype=,2" tells the system to autodetect the 1st card and define the
cardtype of the second card as a 2. Likewise, swapping the cards around
and using "cardtype=2," hangs also.

I have tried changing out the IVTV driver to the ivtv-0.1.10-pre2
version but it works/fails in the exhibits the same behavior as the
IVTV 0.1.9 cardtype patch.

If got the ivtv-0.1.10-pre2 driver from ivtv-experimental on
http://atrpms.net/dist/fc1/.

If I am  correctly reading the ivtv-experimental.spec that the governs
the building of the package, then the  the source used for this driver
is http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck63p.tgz and the
ivtv-0.1.6-i2c-2.8.0.patch and the ivtv-v4l2-types.patch are being
applied in the build process.

>From the ivtv-experimental.spec:
*************************************
Source: http://kmos.org/~ckennedy/ivtv/ivtv-0.1.10-pre2-ck63p.tgz
Patch0: ivtv-0.1.6-i2c-2.8.0.patch
Patch1: ivtv-0.12-cvs20031004-mxddcl.patch
Patch2: ivtv-v4l2-types.patch
Patch3:
http://www4.infi.net/~cpinkham/tmp/ivtv-release-0.1.9-m179_v2.patch

<snip>

%prep
#setup -q -n %{name}
%setup -q -n %{name}-%{version}-pre2-ck63p
if /usr/lib/atrpms/isnewi2c %{kmdl_kernelsrcdir}; then
%patch0 -p1 -b .i2c2.8.0
else
: #perl -pi -e's,CFLAGS \+= -DNEW_I2C,#CFLAGS += -DNEW_I2C,'
driver/Makefile
fi
#patch1 -p1 -b .mxddcl
%patch2 -p1 -b .types
#patch3 -p1 -b .m179
perl -pi -e 's:include <linux/videodev2.h>:include "videodev2.h":'
utils/radio.c

%build
*************************************

I would appreciate any input on making this work including:
a. What IVTV drivers you are using, and how you patched/built them if
they are modified in any way from stock
b. What your IVTV section of the /etc/modules.conf looks like.
c. Where you able to get TV out on the PVR-350 to work

Thanks,
Alan

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY: The content of this electronic mail and any attachments hereto may contain confidential business, proprietary, and/or health information that is protected by law and is intended only for the use of the specifically named recipient(s). In addition, such mail and attachments may contain a communication that is protected from disclosure by the attorney-client and/or attorney work-product privileges. The authorized recipient(s) of this information may not disclose such information to any other party unless permitted or required by law or regulation, and is required to destroy the information after its intended purpose has been fulfilled.

If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, disclosure, copying, distribution, or action taken in reliance thereon is strictly prohibited. You are further notified that unauthorized use and/or disclosure of this information may subject you to criminal and/or civil prosecution in accordance with law.  If you have received this electronic mail in error, you are hereby ordered to immediately
destroy this message and contact the sender.