Subject: [mythtv-users] DVB and DVD-backup

Gregory J. McGee gjmcgee at cableone.net
Thu May 13 12:31:47 EDT 2004

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 12:54:34 +0000
> From: "Daniel g" <danzvash at hotmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtv-users] DVB and DVD-backup
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>
> I have seen it discussed here that MPEG2->MPEG2
> re-coding (for commercials-cleaning) is basically
> complete and working (in CVS I presume).
>
> Using myth0.14 with DVB-t (nova-t) I obviously end up
> with large MPEG2-coded .nuv files.
>
> Question:
> Is there any existing capability or technique (either
> within Myth code or external) that allows one to
> export the MPEG2 data from the .nuv files *without
> transcoding* in such a way as to allow relatively
> quick VideoDVD authoring?
> This would seem to be the obvious, portable choice for
> DVB users.
>
> nuvexport can create DVD-compliant files but only
> through transcoding, which is very slow and lossy.

Many folks on the list use avidemux, v 2.0.22 will create a mpeg2-ps
file out of the box, and can load mythtvs nuv format.

It will do a fast copy on the streams, and add the needed data--- only
takes a few minutes. (after you edit your commercials out of course,
easily done in avidemux)

(Look to the archives, lots of info there)

I use that to create valid vobs, or avis, then vobview to preview,
merge, and dump (or split) the iso(s).

It has been mentioned that avidemux includes extra padding and using it
to save the audio and vid streams and then using mplex creates a smaller
file.