[mythtv-users] Completely and utterly frustrated

Stephen Longhurst steve at longsteve.com
Thu May 6 12:54:58 EDT 2004

Jim Coates wrote:
> Deep breath... ok...
I've felt the same way a few times, and I've still got lot of things
to setup.

> Ivtv seems to be the least stable of the lot but I've been able to
> make the modules without error under both 2.4.25 and 2.6.x kernels.
> Here are my outstanding issues:
Have you got stock kernels?  I tried originally on a Gentoo 2.4.25
kernel and some of the patches for this and that didn't take very
easily, so I switched to a stock 2.4.26 and things seemed to go more
smoothly.

> the second pvr-250 doesn't work under mythtv.  Whenever the backend starts I
> get:
>   "2004-05-06 11:09:20 CheckChannel failed. Please verify channel "3" in the
> "setup" Channel Editor."
In one of the setup sections for mapping the video inputs to tv
sources, there are two settings.  One is the channel a card is tuned
to at startup, and the second is the default channel to use when
switching to the card.  The first one is set to '3' by default, and
you need to change it to a value change number in your setup.

> also, when trying to do PIP or watch a show while recording another, I get
> the following errors:
>   error reading from: /dev/video1
>   Couldn't read data from the capture card in 15 seconds. Game over, man.
Could you post any output from dmesg?  Do dmesg -c first.  Then
modprobe the ivtv drivers and reproduce the error.  Then type dmesg
again and see what it says.  Also, it'd help if you posted the
relevant section from modules.conf, where the ivtv related options
are.  You don't need to post the whole lot, just the something like:

options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 ivtv_pal=1 tuner=5
options tuner pal=1
options saa7127 enable_output=1 output_select=0 pal=1
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 saa7127 tuner
add above ivtv lirc_dev lirc_i2c ivtv-fb
post-install ivtv /usr/local/bin/test_ioctl -d /dev/video0 -u 0xff

> audio out on spdif (i8x0)
>   mplayer always works, mythtv is fine using OSS (/dev/dsp) except
> occasionally I get static when entering live tv or watching a recorded show,
> leaving and coming back will often fix this.  Mythmusic will not work using
> /dev/dsp unless I explicitly map dev dsp to the 4th device (spdif) on my
> sound card.  If I do this, then mythtv stops playing audio.

I've not used spdif output so can't help, sorry.

Cheers,

       Steve

--
Stephen Longhurst