[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase works by hand, fails from cron

Mike Jasper e394td at comcast.net
Wed May 5 10:06:48 EDT 2004

Chris Thompson wrote:

> I am within striking distance of having mythtv ready for prime time. I've
> got a slight snag with mythfilldatabase, however.
>
> Fedora system, set up to Jarod's specs.
>
> I put the following line in crontab:
>
> 15 4 * * * ct /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase
>
> ct is the user with all the permissions, and with the right xmltv data in
> ~/.mythtv.

You should be running cron job as the user ct.  What I mean is, when
logged in as ct, run crontab -e and add the entry.  That's the correct
way to set up a cron job for a particular user.  I use the following
entry, which I think I grabbed from Jarod's guide:

### Run mythfilldatabase every night at some random time after 2:30am
30 2 * * * sleep $(expr $RANDOM \% 7200) && mythfilldatabase >
/var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log 2>&1