[mythtv-users] mythfilldatabase works by hand, fails from cron

Chris Thompson ct-myth at cthompson.com
Wed May 5 10:30:28 EDT 2004

I am within striking distance of having mythtv ready for prime time. I've
got a slight snag with mythfilldatabase, however.

Fedora system, set up to Jarod's specs.

I put the following line in crontab:

15 4 * * * ct /usr/bin/mythfilldatabase

ct is the user with all the permissions, and with the right xmltv data in
~/.mythtv.

When the ct user runs mythfilldatabase by hand, all is well. When that cron
runs, however, it fails, and mythweb shows...

 Last mythfilldatabase run started on 2004-05-05 04:32 and ended on
2004-05-05 04:32. FAILED: xmltv returned error code 256.
There's guide data until 2004-05-12 00:00 (7 days).

I thought perhaps it was something to do with the ct user, so I put a
mythfilldatabase script in /etc/cron.daily which reads:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/mythfilldatabase

EXITVALUE=$?
if [ $EXITVALUE != 0 ]; then
    /usr/bin/logger -t mythfilldatabase "ALERT exited abnormally with [$EXITVALUE]"
fi
exit 0

This, of course, is run as root, so I copied the DirecTV.xmltv file into
/root/.mythtv.

If the root user runs /etc/cron.daily/mythfilldatabase by hand, it runs
fine. When cron fires it off, I get the error you see above about error
code 256.

Any ideas? is there some environment variable that's not being set by cron
that needs to be set? This is one of only three glitches that I've got left
now.