[mythtv-users] prebuilt pvrs for developers benefit?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Tue May 4 14:35:31 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 04 May 2004 02:22 pm, Chris Petersen wrote:
> > What is interesting is the concept of the shows being recorded at the
> > cable company itself and then you watching them on your schedule.  So you
> > have your own version of the interface and you think you're tagging
> > shows, but perhaps all channels, 24/7 for 30 days are being kept, and you
> > just access content you are already paying for, just at a shifted time.
> > You think it is recorded just for you.
>
> That's just on-demand TV - Comcast has been heavily advertising this
> recently in my area.  Although time will tell if the cable companies
> have the bandwidth to keep up with EVERYONE getting custom streams - the
> cable system relies heavily on its multicast-like nature to avoid
> overdrawing their bandwidth.

I am guessing that if it comes to that they will start batching distrobution
of the programs (like only broadcast on the 5 minute mark or something).  So
you select your show and it will say "Starting in 3:50..."

Of course what they will really do is suck the bandwidth off my cablemodem -
the bastards

> -Chris

- --

Bill Chmura

w. http://www.fistfullofcode.com
w. http://www.explosivo.com

"No matter what, never, ever, ever, ever tell your girl friend she is looking
a little puffy."
- -Ancient chinese proverb

"Some people go to bed with Lucifer, then they cry when they don't greet the
day with God"
- -Monster Magnet

Without good motivation, science and technology, instead of helping, bring
more fear and threaten global destruction. Compassionate thought is very
important for humankind.
- -His Holiness the Dalai Lama