[mythtv-users] Backend Crapping Out

Poobah poobah at techsquadron.com
Tue May 4 12:07:31 EDT 2004

the-Jer,
    Normally I run mythbackend in my startup scripts, and invoke it using:

    /usr/local/bin/mythbackend -d -l /var/log/mythbackend.log

    This uses the -d option to daemonize it and run it in the background.  When mine segfaults like that, there's no indication on the console or in the system logs.

    If I run it at a console prompt without the -d option, it displays everything that's normally in the log on the console, and will display anything the system needs to tell you after the backend dies (like a segfault message) that isn't in any log.

    I'm running 2 PVR-250's on a Intel Chipset (Compaq Evo workstation)  I've got 2 ethernet cards in the backend (my frontend boots off the network - I need a seperate DHCP segment from my Windows workstations).  I'm also running Linux From Scratch, and build Myth from the source (0.14)

    I've had IRQ problems if I'm recording, watching something (through 1 NIC), and hit the web page (through the other NIC) all at the same time.  Those usually show up in the backend log as "No more data, game over man' and ivtv complains about "DMA clear" when I kill mythbackend.  I'm going to use 802.1Q in the kernel and remove a netcard to solve that one, when I get around to it.

Let me know if you do find it.  I'd be interested to see if it might be the same on mine.

Mark