[mythtv-users] Backend Crapping Out

the Jer the-jer at r00td0wn.net
Tue May 4 10:50:44 EDT 2004

Well I just SSH'd into home and I see that the program recorded successfully and that mythbackend it still running.  So apparently recording it doesn't hurt it a bit.

I'll watch the recording when I get home to see if that will make mythbackend dump like watching live tv does.

Incidentally, I have stumbled across the VIA DMA bug that seems to have haunted many people.  For those that don't know, it seems that there is known problem with the IO_APIC on VIA chipsets kx133, kt133, kt266, and the kt400.  Too much traffic and you get DMA and IRQ errors.

Suggested fixes have been turning off IO_APIC in the kernel, then disabling in the BIOS, and sometimes even moving the hard drive(s) to another add-on controller.

I'm going to try these fixes tonight and let everyone know how they work.

the-Jer
-------
I had no shoes and I pitied myself.
Then I met a man who had no feet,