[mythtv-users] m4a / aac audio support

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Mar 29 11:23:40 EST 2004

crap, I hate control-enter-for-send sometimes..  second try..

> It's my understanding that AAC is a standard and is not proprietary...
> and therefore would not requite any royalties.  The proprietary part of
> iTunes Music Store songs is the Fairplay DRM that Apple uses.

http://www.vialicensing.com/products/mpeg4aac/licenseFAQ.html

Who needs to license MPEG-4 AAC patents?
An MPEG-4 AAC patent license is required for manufacturers or developers
of complete (or substantially complete) end-user encoder and/or decoder
products, or for manufacturers/developers of component encoder and/or
decoder products that are provided directly to end-users.

Also see:  http://faac.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=AAC

All mpeg-4 codecs require licensing the patents (that's what the patents
are for).  As I understand it, they just haven't finalized what mpeg4
video will be, or how much it will cost people (I have a friend at
realnetworks who originally told me this, but it's been a few months so
they may have figured one or both of these out), which is why there are
still several different codecs that call themselves mpeg4 video.

-Chris