[mythtv-users] first time HTPCer - double check me

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Sat Mar 20 15:03:26 EST 2004

On Mar 19, 2004, at 14:10, Daniel Walton wrote:

> Thanks Jarod

No problem.

>> (though I'm slightly leery of a USB2 connected hard drive under
>> Linux).
>
> k, I'll do some digging and see if anyone else have used USB connected
> harddrives.

One recommendation for, so far...

>> An IR receiver of some kind and the appropriate lirc config files. I
>> use a
>> RadioShack universal remote myself.
>
> Any recomendations for an IR receiver or will pretty much anyone do
> for linux?

Pretty much any serial one should work. Lots of people build their own,
and I've heard good things about the ones from zapway.de (ships to the
US also). I'm currently rather partial to the XP Media Center USB
receiver I got, which (thanks to Dan Conti =) now works quite well
under Linux. It has much better range and multi-directional receiving
capabilities than the PVR-x50 receivers. However, I haven't seen a
place you can buy just the receiver ($35 at NewEgg for a remote and the
receiver -- I was able to get just the receiver because we had a spare
at work from an HP XP MCE box).

>> In your case, yes. And it isn't just a cable, unless your set can
>> accept RGB
>> component video. YPbPr component video requires a signal transcoder
>> (see the
>> link I provided above).
>
> hmmm, how about Crescendo-Systems TC2000?  Any experience with one of
> those.

Nope, I've only got personal experience with the Audio Authority 9A60.
 From what I've read, the top-rated one on the market is the one from
Key Digital, followed by the AA I've got (which costs almost half as
much). There are folks using one from RCA with good results, but I've
never heard of the Crescendo-Systems one...

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/