[mythtv-users] PVR-350 Static and No Sound

schmoboy at cox.net schmoboy at cox.net
Thu Mar 18 21:48:04 EST 2004

I'm going to start this message by stating that I am a relatively new Linux user, so hand-holding would be appreciated with any ideas you might have. :)

I am using Jarod's guide to get MythTV up and running and I seem to have hit a roadblock when I get to the point of testing the PVR-350 capture.

I have followed the steps up to that point with all going well.  uname -r reports 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl_37.rhfc1.at.  I have all the same key hardware as Jarod mostly. Same mobo, case, Audigy sound card, PVR-350, etc...

After installing the ivtv drivers and adding the necessary lines to /etc/modules.conf as such:

# --- BEGIN: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---
# --- ALSACONF verion 1.0.3 ---
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
alias sound-slot-0 snd-emu10k1
# --- END: Generated by ALSACONF, do not edit. ---

# ivtv modules
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
options ivtv ivtv_debug=1 mpg_buffers=90
options tuner type=2
options msp3400 once=1 simple=1
add below ivtv msp3400 saa7115 tuner

.asoundrc file is in the mythtv user dir.
$ /usr/bin/aplay /usr/share/sounds/KDE_Startup.wav command plays the sound just fine.

# /sbin/lspci -v reports...

01:08.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC15 MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hauppauge computer works Inc. WinTV PVR-350
        Memory at d4000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]

I setup the driver as follows figuring I had the same PVR-350 and sound card as Jarod...
# /usr/bin/test_ioctl -u 0x3000
# /usr/bin/test_ioctl -p 4
# /usr/bin/test_ioctl -f width=720,height=480
# /usr/bin/test_ioctl -v input=3,output=1

When I get to the test capture step and execute:
# cat /dev/video0 > /tmp/test_capture.mpg
# mplayer -ao alsa9 /tmp/test_capture.mpg

All I get is static for the picture and no sound.  I have cable piped in right from the wall jack to the input on the PVR.  I read the archives and tried ptune-ui.pl to change the channel to some other known chennel (3 on my cable system) but I still just get static and no sound.  Even the default channel of 4 (HBO) should at least capture the scramble.

Since I am new to Linux I have no clue how to try and diagnose the problem.  Any help in that area would be appreciated.

Thanks...