[mythtv-users] Finally... OBJECTIVE PVR250 Quality measurment

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Mar 17 15:59:58 EST 2004

At 01:30 PM 3/17/2004 -0700, Mike Diehl (Encrypted email preferred) wrote:

>On Wednesday 17 March 2004 12:47 pm, Peter van Rensburg wrote:
> > are other problems such as artifacting. The main
> > problem for myself and others with the [23]50 cards
> > are the loss of resolution, the captured image looks
> > significantly softer than the original (of course
> > given that the original signal was good).
>
>HMMmmmm....  I was looking to buy a 350 for my PVR.  Now I'm infering that
>the
>quality isn't so good....?
>
>If one were to build a new mythtv setup from scratch, what is the recommended
>capture card?

<sigh> There is no "recommended" card, because there is no single authority
here to serve as a source of recommendations.

What there are is a variety of cards that work with Myth, and that have
various relative strengths and weaknesses ... involving tradeoffs among
image quality, cost, CPU load, file size (MB/minute), and other things.

The list archive has a lot of disccussion about the relative strengths and
weaknesses of various cards. There is no shortcut around reading through
that material and, based on it, forming your own opinions.

Any substantive responses you get to this inquiry will be less
recommendations and more reatatements of individuals' personal point of
view on how to balance out the very real tradeoffs one has to make with ANY
real-time digitizing of video.