[mythtv-users] Finally... OBJECTIVE PVR250 Quality measurment

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Wed Mar 17 15:56:54 EST 2004

> HMMmmmm....  I was looking to buy a 350 for my PVR.  Now I'm
> infering that the
> quality isn't so good....?
>
> If one were to build a new mythtv setup from scratch, what is
> the recommended
> capture card?

My first post here on this forum so I hope I dont step on any toes :)

I would not buy a 350 for the PVR but would instead buy a 250 and a Nvidia
graphics card like the 5200. This option allows you to play other media than
just the tv-out of the 350 (the 350 reportedly has problems playing anything
other than tv-out)

Another very good reason to use a different graphics card is that if you
ever want to upgrade to a HDTV system then you can use the 848x480p
(progressive scan) mode of the graphics card to drive the tv. This path
gives much much better looking pictures than the s-video output. (Even
better than the source s-video IMHO) I have been very happy with the picture
quality of the PVR with this exact setup. I basically set the system up
using the instructions from the wilsonet.com site. Only thing left to figure
out is how to enable and configure ALSA to output everything via the S/PDIF
output on my motherboard.

Good luck,
Bill