[mythtv-users] Recording specific episodes?

david.blevins at visi.com david.blevins at visi.com
Mon Mar 15 02:06:07 EST 2004

On Sat, Mar 13, 2004 at 01:18:27AM -0600, david.blevins at visi.com wrote:
> Is there anyway to set mythtv up to record specific episodes of a show
> whenever they happen to be on?  I don't mind typing the episode names
> into mysql directly if I have to.
>
> Here is where I'm coming from--I bet there are a lot of people in the same boat.
>
> Angel -- I want any episodes from seasons 3-5, but 1 or 2 as they are out on DVD.
> Buffy -- Only want episodes from season 7, I've seen the other seasons.
> Farscape -- Only want seasons 3 & 4, have a friend with season 1 & 2 on DVD.
> Futurama --  Need season 4 & 5, the others are on DVD.
>
> You can see pattern.  I'm in the same boat with Smallville and Alias,
> but it isn't bad with those shows are there aren't a sea of old
> episodes in syndication, yet.
>
> Speak up if you also want this feature.
>
> The thought of cooking up a perl script to run from cron right after
> mythfilldatabse crossed my mind, but that wouldn't pickup replacements
> and would likely cause scheduling conflicts on a regular basis.

It occurred to me, after more time thinking about this, that the best
approach would be to fill the oldrecorded table with records for the
episodes you don't want.  I'm imagining an add-on to mythweb that
snarfs data from epguides.com and presents you with a list of
episodes.  You can then check the ones you don't want and they will be
added to oldrecorded.

That's the theory.  Obviously the only accurate data I'll have is
title and subtitle and will have to make-up chanid, starttime,
endtime, description, and category.

So my questions are:
  - How close do the entries in oldrecorded have to be in order to
    prevent that episode from being recorded?
  - How about these for default 'fake' values:
       - chanid = 1000
       - starttime = the time the record was created
       - endtime = same as starttime
       - description = null
       - category = null

--