[mythtv-users] Help: Can't recompile 2174_37 kernel?

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Thu Mar 11 01:53:21 EST 2004

On Mar 10, 2004, at 15:37, Jason R Neuhaus wrote:

> Okay, I figured out that I need to get lirc-0.7.0pre2 in order to get
> my PVR-250 remote to work, in order to do that, I need to rebuild the
> 2174_37 kernel from the source, so I go to /usr/src/linux-2.4, copy
> the i686 config file from the configs directory to .config, do a make
> dep, make bzImage, no problems.  Next up make modules, doesn't work.
> First time it broke on power management stuff, so I turned off those
> options.  make dep, bzImage, ... make modules, still doesn't work, not
> it's breaking on something in the cipe directory (sorry, I got so many
> warnings I can't even find the error that caused the break).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas?  I'm running an P3 processor BTW, non AMD,
> single processor, etc.

Ack. No, no, no, and did I mention no? You don't need to rebuild the
kernel from source. If you want to compile lirc from source yourself,
it works for me to simply drop my appropriate kernel .config file in
/usr/src/linux-2.4/, then go to town with the lirc source. You *might*
have to also run make dep (editing the Makefile to remove the "custom"
tag first), but you certainly don't need to recompile the entire
kernel.

And the easy way to get the problem fixed is:

# apt-get install lirc-kmdl-`uname -r`=0.7.0-20_cvs20040208

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...
     http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/