[mythtv-users] PVR250 / TV IR Remote Conflict & Conflict Resolution

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Mar 8 16:53:04 EST 2004

On Monday 08 March 2004 14:01, Harry Orenstein wrote:
> >From: Nathan Reeves <nathan_reeves at yahoo.com>
> >To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> >Subject: [mythtv-users] PVR250 / TV IR Remote Conflict & Conflict
> >Resolution
> >Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:09:21 -0800 (PST)
> >
> >Two questions I hope someone can help with...
> >
> >1) Finally got hold of a PVR250 and installed it in
> >place of my Winfast TVXP2000 bt848 card (quality
> >difference or what!  PVR250 definately worth the
> >cost).  Everything's working fine, but I've found that
> >the IR control for the PVR250 appears to be using the
> >same IR channel as my TV.  If I try and change
> >channels using the Hauppage controller, my TV changes
> >channels along with the PVR250.  Is there any way of
> >getting an IR setup so that it's not going to conflict
> >with my TV and still be usable with the PVR card, or
> >will I need to move to another IR receiver (eg Serial
> >receiver) with lirc?

[snip]

> >Apart from these small issues, Myth rocks.  Especially
> >for places like Australia where Tivo (or anything like
> >it) doesn't yet exist.
> >
> >Thanks
> >
> >Nathan
> >
> >__________________________________
>
> Nathan,
>
> The PVR-250 remote and IR receiver use RC-5 codes.  I assume you
> are either using a Philips or Magnavox TV (possibly Marantz, but I
> don't think they make TVs).  It's surprising that you would have a
> problem with TVs.  The codes for the PVR-250 are all VCR codes
> IIRC.  In any case, what you can do is switch to a univeral remote
> such as the Radio Shack 15-2116 or 15-2117 or one of the
> OneForAll remotes (6012, 6131) that can support a variety of
> RC-5 codes.  I think the default setup for these is code 0081, but
> that may have the same conflict as your current remote.  IIRC there
> is an alternate Philips VCR code that also sends a fairly complete
> set of RC-5 VCR codes, but on a different device prefix.  Take a look
> at Jarod's site for instructions for universal remote setup with the
> PVR-250 (including how to add codes not available on either the
> PVR-250 silver remote or the standard 0081 command set for the
> universal remotes).  Barring that, you could switch to a non-RC-5 set
> of codes with a different IR receiver (such as the simple receiver on
> the LIRC site), but that is much more work.

Just to add my two bits, I had the same problem with my WinTV PCI remote
& receiver and my Philips Magnavox TV.  The problem I ran into was that
the WinTV PCI IR receiver would only respond to "TV" device codes.  I
ended up going with an IRman instead.  If the PVR-250 receiver responds
to "VCR" device codes, then you *should* be able to find a code on the
remote that operates the PVR-250 but not the TV.

Good luck!

-JAC