[mythtv-users] PVR250 / TV IR Remote Conflict & Conflict Resolution

Harry Orenstein ho_9 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 8 14:01:21 EST 2004

>From: Nathan Reeves <nathan_reeves at yahoo.com>
>To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
>Subject: [mythtv-users] PVR250 / TV IR Remote Conflict & Conflict
>Resolution
>Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:09:21 -0800 (PST)
>
>Two questions I hope someone can help with...
>
>1) Finally got hold of a PVR250 and installed it in
>place of my Winfast TVXP2000 bt848 card (quality
>difference or what!  PVR250 definately worth the
>cost).  Everything's working fine, but I've found that
>the IR control for the PVR250 appears to be using the
>same IR channel as my TV.  If I try and change
>channels using the Hauppage controller, my TV changes
>channels along with the PVR250.  Is there any way of
>getting an IR setup so that it's not going to conflict
>with my TV and still be usable with the PVR card, or
>will I need to move to another IR receiver (eg Serial
>receiver) with lirc?
>
>2) I've seen this problem around, but not sure I've
>seen a final answer.  I've set a global pre and post
>recording time of 300 seconds for every recording so I
>always capture a full showing of a show.  Problem is
>that if I now choose to record two shows which show
>back to back (different channels), the second show is
>marked as deactivated in the conflict resolution
>chart.  Is there any way of getting both programs
>recording, realising that I'll miss 300 seconds from
>the beginning of the second show?
>
>Apart from these small issues, Myth rocks.  Especially
>for places like Australia where Tivo (or anything like
>it) doesn't yet exist.
>
>Thanks
>
>Nathan

Nathan,

The PVR-250 remote and IR receiver use RC-5 codes.  I assume you
are either using a Philips or Magnavox TV (possibly Marantz, but I
don't think they make TVs).  It's surprising that you would have a
problem with TVs.  The codes for the PVR-250 are all VCR codes
IIRC.  In any case, what you can do is switch to a univeral remote
such as the Radio Shack 15-2116 or 15-2117 or one of the
OneForAll remotes (6012, 6131) that can support a variety of
RC-5 codes.  I think the default setup for these is code 0081, but
that may have the same conflict as your current remote.  IIRC there
is an alternate Philips VCR code that also sends a fairly complete set
of RC-5 VCR codes, but on a different device prefix.  Take a look at
Jarod's site for instructions for universal remote setup with the
PVR-250 (including how to add codes not available on either the
PVR-250 silver remote or the standard 0081 command set for the
universal remotes).  Barring that, you could switch to a non-RC-5
set of codes with a different IR receiver (such as the simple
receiver on the LIRC site), but that is much more work.

As to your second question, you can always go into the advanced
recording setup screen (option i) when setting up a recording and
override the default pre- and post- roll settings for either the first
or second show in a row.  300 seconds seems awfully high.  Are
you sure you need that much?  I know that different stations have
different offsets from "real" time, but I usually handle that on a
channel by channel basis (i.e.: Cartoon Network is about 30 seconds
ahead so I set 30 sec pre-roll, Disney is pretty much spot on).  [Hey,
I record for my nephew!].

HTH!!

-- Harry O.