[mythtv-users] Cheapest card for capturing with MythTV?

Andrew Dodd atd7 at cornell.edu
Fri Mar 5 13:03:16 EST 2004

Quoting Bill Chmura <Bill at Explosivo.com>:

> I love my 350...
>
> But anyway, I was wondering more about the burning to DVD... I've been
> using avidemux2 to chop out commercials, then save as DVD PS... This
> still takes about an hour for 24 minutes of video on a P4 2.4 machine.
> Seems excessive don't it.
>
> Is there any step in the process I can skip?  Maybe the video
> processing?  I am new to video processing...
Something sounds wrong here.

I've heard that saving to DVD PS still has some bugs.

Currently what I do:
Load/index the MPEG (.nuv) file
Cut the commercials
Save the edit list in case of a crash
Save raw audio to a file
Save raw video to a file
Multiplex the audio/video to a new DVD program stream using mplex from mjpegtools
Burn to DVD (or copy it over the original .nuv file and redo the recordedmarkup
table for that recording, resulting in a Myth recording with commercials removed)

When burning to DVD, you can use a FIFO instead of a file between mplex and
dvdauthor.  This will greatly increase speed, since almost ALL of the operations
listed above (except for MPEG indexing) are disk I/O bound.

I haven't figured out how to use FIFOs for the avidemux output, which would
greatly increase performance too, for the same reason as using a FIFO between
mplex and dvdauthor.  Note that you'll get large performance increases if the
source file for any given operation is on a different drive than the destination
file.  (This greatly increases disk throughput since the drives don't have to
seek back and forth.)