[mythtv-users] Cheapest card for capturing with MythTV?

Bill Chmura Bill at Explosivo.com
Fri Mar 5 11:39:46 EST 2004

I love my 350...

But anyway, I was wondering more about the burning to DVD... I've been
using avidemux2 to chop out commercials, then save as DVD PS... This
still takes about an hour for 24 minutes of video on a P4 2.4 machine.
Seems excessive don't it.

Is there any step in the process I can skip?  Maybe the video
processing?  I am new to video processing...

Thanks!

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Dodd
Sent: Friday, March 05, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Cheapest card for capturing with MythTV?

Quoting Steve Dorsey <steve at dorseygraphics.com>:

> I think I have a card that will play back video, now I need one to
> capture.
>
> What's the cheapest card I can find for capturing? I guess it would
> have to capture audio AND video, right?
Not necessarily.  Many of the old BT8x8 cards required you to hook up an
audio passthrough cable from the card to the sound card.  (Newer Bt878s
have btaudio).

My advice:  Don't go cheap on the capture card.  It is one of the key
factors in defining your MythTV experience.  Last time I tried Myth with
a dumb capture card I was VERY disappointed with it.  With my new
PVR-350 board, Myth works great.

Getting a PVR-x50 (or other ivtv board such as the Avermedia M179) will
let you record 720x480 at full framerate with little to no CPU usage.
If you use a dumb capture card (cx88, bt8x8, etc.) you will eat lots of
CPU and likely be restricted to using a lower resolution.  In addition
if you happen to have a DVD recorder, the video output by ivtv boards
can be (nearly) burned directly to DVD with only a remuxing needed
(Fast, I/O bound) as opposed to transcoding (Slow, CPU bound.) for
anything recorded with a "dumb" cap card.