[mythtv-users] mythfrontend speed issue.

Aaron Averett aaverett at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 29 23:00:59 EDT 2004

I finally got my m179 working, after a fashion, but I've run into another snag.  It seems that it has the same problem that my WinTV card had, where the system simply isn't fast enough to decode it.  The problem with this is, the system SHOULD be fast enough...

Shouldn't it?  It's an AthlonXP 1800+ with 512 MB of ram.  Both hard drives in the system have DMA enabled. According to the MythTV documentation, CPU utilization for just watching TV (no timeshifting) should be around 10 or 15 percent.  According to top, mythfrontend's CPU utilization typically hovers around 90%.  At any rate, it's almost unwatchable like this (certainly not enjoyably watchable).

I'm not totally convinced I got ivtv set up correctly, as it sometimes doesn't work when the system boots up, and I have to manually load the module.  Once it loads though, the TV card seems to work just fine.  The problem arises when I try to view the playback, like Myth's software Mpeg decoding is woefully inefficient.  I've played around with the recording profiles, but nothing short of turning the image size WAY down seems to have much effect at all.

Bottom line, here:  Is there a way to speed it up without making the playback unwatchable?

Aaron