[mythtv-users] mythfrontend speed issue.

Eric Hattemer eric at hattenator.dyndns.org
Wed Jun 30 00:28:36 EDT 2004

Aaron Averett wrote:

> Shouldn't it?  It's an AthlonXP 1800+ with 512 MB of ram.  Both hard
> drives in the system have DMA enabled. According to the MythTV
> documentation, CPU utilization for just watching TV (no timeshifting)
> should be around 10 or 15 percent.  According to top,
> mythfrontend's CPU utilization typically hovers around 90%.  At any
> rate, it's almost unwatchable like this (certainly not enjoyably
> watchable).

Most likely, your problem is your video card.  What kind of card is it?
Very few video cards in Linux have hardware acceleration in their
drivers.  If youhave an NVIDIA card, you almost have to use the
nvidia.com driver.  If you have an ati card, you might be able to get
away with the X builtin driver, but try the ati.com driver anyway.  If
you have any other card, it probably isn't being used, so all the work
is done by the processor.  See if you can use other video programs like
xine or mplayer without any trouble.  I think most likely its your video
drivers, though.

-Eric Hattemer