[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

Thor Melsted thor at netwood.net
Tue Jun 22 20:15:07 EDT 2004

Please don't make assumptions about people you don't know.
I also make my living off intellectual property.
That doesn't mean I'm going to sit back and accept whatever draconian BS the
MPAA or the RIAA lobbies for, when it directly limits my rights.
I'm all for intellectual property rights, which you would have understood if
you had actually bothered to read what I wrote.  I didn't condone
filesharing or even say that I participated in it (for the record, I don't
use p2p and I don't upload anything).
However, I was stating an opinion about laws which you don't seem to fully
understand.

Again, J. Donavan Stanley hacked up a hairball and growled:

>They lobbied for it  because they were seeing their content spread all over
the internet and
>not seeing a dime for it.

>> I record a particular show on a weekly basis and edit out the commercials
>>myself and encode it to a nice format such as Xvid, but what if one week
>>there's a power outage and I miss the recording?  How would it be
different
>>for me if I were to download a copy of the same show which has been made
>>available by someone else?  I fully understand the issue as presented by
the
>>MPAA where they say that because it's made available, anyone can get it
and
>>it's without permission from the copyright holder, and that the
advertisers
>>get cheated. But it's missing the point.
>>

>No you're missing the point it's against the law.  That's it, end of
>story game over.  By sharing shows, movies, CDs you only serve to
>encourage more draconian measures.  We've already got the broadcast bit
>thanks to shows being shared / fears of them being shared.

No, that wasn't my point.  Try to observe before you spit.
Sharing copyrighted material is against the law, yes.
Downloading copyrighted material you've already paid for, is a bit
different.
You yourself are not bypassing any copy protection.  You yourself are not
breaking any laws by obtaining a backup copy of something you've already
paid for.
The DMCA does not take that right away from you.  It only makes it illegal
for you to take the step which removes the copy protection.  Once it has
been removed by someone else, you yourself are not violating any laws by
using that copy as your backup copy, because you are allowed to have a
backup copy, provided you still are in posession the original copy you paid
for.

>> Sharing movies and music is a little different than sharing tv shows that
>>are broadcast on free network television.
>>

>No it's exactly the same, a copyrighted work for which you have no right
>to redistribute.
Sure, sharing them is just as illegal, but downloading somebody elses share
is not illegal, if you had full opportunity to legally make a copy on your
own (such as using a VCR or Tivo) from a free broadcast.  If it was a DVD
rip, you would still be within your rights to download it IF, and ONLY IF
you already own a legitimate copy of the same DVD.

>> Also, please mind your manners.  This is not the only time you've been
rude
>>here.  Your first reply to me was rather rude as well.  This is a
>>"discussion", not a pissing contest.  Calling people idiots is completely
>>uncalled for, and so is having a nasty overall attitude.
>>

>I make my living off of intellectual property.  People who think it's
>hunky dory fine to download movies, music and tv shows off the net piss
>me off.  The knowledge that in a few years anything worth recording will
>not be recordable in the US because of those same people causing the
>broadcast bit to be turned on for everything pisses me off even more.
>So if I come off as nasty GOOD!   I mean to be.  If you're one of the
>group that are walking all over copyright law you ARE and idiot because
>you're screwing things up for everyone else because you're to stupid to
>think beyond "I can get stuff for free" and consider the bigger picture.

What's the better solution here?  Giving up your rights and pointing the
finger at someone and blaming them for causing the rights to go away, or
fighting the system that takes the rights away?  Contact your
representative.  Call your Senator.  Vote.  Do what you can to make sure
laws like the DMCA are removed and that your rights are not trampled on.
The Supreme Court ruling in the Betamax case of 1982 is our golden ticket.
The same exact argument used in that ruling applies to digital media.  What
we need is a test case.  Something which brings the constitutionality of the
DMCA in front of the Supreme Court, so that they can strike it down.
Sure, the broadcast bit is a knee-jerk reaction to copying and filesharing,
but a better solution is to actually uphold the existing laws, which
guarantee consumer rights.  Special interests are the real "cause".
Corporations looking out for their bottom line, spend millions annually on
lobbying groups in D.C. Why?  Because these groups help limit consumer
rights by lobbying OUR representatives, and thereby help the corporations
protect their bottom line.
If you want to keep your rights to record, good!  Then FIGHT FOR THEM!
Pointing fingers at people who couldn't care less what you think will get
absolutely nothing done.  Treat the cause, not the symptom.  Copying is the
symptom of overpriced CDs and DVDs.  Copying is the symptom of technology
making it easier.  Macrovision tried to stop analog copying.  Didn't work.
The 5C bit will be hacked, believe me, it's just a matter of time.  So why
not come down from the soap box and actually try to get something done?

And, you would do well to not call people idiots left and right, because
A. it makes you look foolish
B. you don't know me or any of these people well enough to make that
judgement
C. further communication on mailing lists means not pissing people off and
winding up on their kill filters, which will only cause you increased
frustration (which from the sound of it, you can ill afford)

Anyway, this discussion has gone completely awry, has nothing to do with the
original discussion anymore (which wasn't even about anything illegal, if
you'd bothered to read the original issue), and has thanks to you segwayed
into personal attacks, which are usually the trait of someone losing an
argument.
Therfore, I'm bowing out.  Feel free to have the last word if it will make
you feel better.
Parting words are a suggestion, not a request:  read what people have to
say, open your mind.

---