[mythtv-users] Torrentocracy

J. Donavan Stanley jdonavan at jdonavan.net
Tue Jun 22 19:34:35 EDT 2004

Thor Melsted wrote:

>J. Donavan Stanley hacked up a hairball and growled:
>

>>And maybe just maybe, obeying the law so we don't give them ammunition.
>>People like David are the reason things like the DMCA exist.  If idiots
>>

>like him weren't
>

>>sharing shows, movies and music with their buddies we wouldn't have the
>>

>mess we have now.
>
> The DMCA exists because MPAA and RIAA lobbied congressmen and senators, in
>an attempt to protect their content from the prying eyes and ears of
>legitimate consumers who have already paid for the content and want to
>assert their rights under the fair-use clause to use the content they've
>paid for, in a specific manner not originally described by the copyright
>owner, e.g. putting their music on mp3 players and/or making backup copies
>of movies they've already paid for.

They lobbied for it  because they were seeing their content spread all
over the internet and not seeing a dime for it.

> I record a particular show on a weekly basis and edit out the commercials
>myself and encode it to a nice format such as Xvid, but what if one week
>there's a power outage and I miss the recording?  How would it be different
>for me if I were to download a copy of the same show which has been made
>available by someone else?  I fully understand the issue as presented by the
>MPAA where they say that because it's made available, anyone can get it and
>it's without permission from the copyright holder, and that the advertisers
>get cheated. But it's missing the point.

No you're missing the point it's against the law.  That's it, end of
story game over.  By sharing shows, movies, CDs you only serve to
encourage more draconian measures.  We've already got the broadcast bit
thanks to shows being shared / fears of them being shared.

> Sharing movies and music is a little different than sharing tv shows that
>are broadcast on free network television.

No it's exactly the same, a copyrighted work for which you have no right
to redistribute.

> Also, please mind your manners.  This is not the only time you've been rude
>here.  Your first reply to me was rather rude as well.  This is a
>"discussion", not a pissing contest.  Calling people idiots is completely
>uncalled for, and so is having a nasty overall attitude.

I make my living off of intellectual property.  People who think it's
hunky dory fine to download movies, music and tv shows off the net piss
me off.  The knowledge that in a few years anything worth recording will
not be recordable in the US because of those same people causing the
broadcast bit to be turned on for everything pisses me off even more.
So if I come off as nasty GOOD!   I mean to be.  If you're one of the
group that are walking all over copyright law you ARE and idiot because
you're screwing things up for everyone else because you're to stupid to
think beyond "I can get stuff for free" and consider the bigger picture.