[mythtv-users] S/PDIF sound problems

David myth at dgreaves.com
Sat Jun 19 18:45:40 EDT 2004

I'm trying to get s/pdif to work with myth.
I'm using an onboard Via8233

It works fine with mplayer but not myth.
Myth is built with alsa support - I've currently (temporarily) disabled
oss-emulation in the kernel too.

I've used ALSA:mixed-digital (from Michael Dean's config) and it works
very nicely with mplayer
  mplayer -ao alsa1x:mixed-digital my.mp3
gives nice clear properly timed s/pdif output.

I'm using a PVR350 and I feed the audio output back into the soundcard's
line in.
Now I expected myth to be listening to the line in (marked as capture in
alsamixer) and outputting it via pcm to the spdif.
But it's not.

Instead I can only hear myths output when I unmute the line-in - and of
course then I'm getting analog playback.

It seems like Myth is only generating sound via the PVR and isn't then
playing back line-in (at which point I would need to mute line-in to
avoid 'echo')

Any suggestions?

David