[mythtv-users] MythTV and HDTV?

Wed Jun 16 18:33:12 EDT 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, Nate Thompson wrote:

> This a little off the subject, but is it true that the pcHDTV card works
> better in the 2.6.x kernels than the 2.4.x ones? I think I am going to
> purchase one to replace my Samsung OTA receiver, but am currently running
> FC1 using Jarod's tutorial. Has anyone had any success getting it to work
> with the custom kernel it uses?
>
> Nate

The 2.4.25 drivers probably work the best for me (under Fedora Core 1):

http://www.pchdtv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=141

I patched a stock 2.4.25 kernel with pdicamillo's patch, and it works
great.  I have not tried it with a 2.4.26/27 kernel.

http://www.kernel.org/

The "official" 2.6.6 drivers work very well, except...

When mythbackend *first* starts up, it does not seem to get the initial
channel tunned correctly with the 2.6.6 driver.  It works fine with the
2.4.25 driver.

With the 2.6.6 driver, I start up mythbackend, then use dtvsignal to
properly get the initial channel tunned, then myth works great.  This is
only a probably *right* after starting up mythbackend.  Other than that, the
2.6.6 driver work just as well as the 2.4.25 driver.

Where the 2.6.x kernel SHINES, is in playback.  The new "low latency"
scheduler enables a smoother playback of HDTV material -- at least on my
HyperThreaded P4.

I just got through building a dedicated Myth frontend.  In theory I could
run 2.6.6 on the frontend and 2.4.25 on the backend, but Fedora Core 2 is a
much nicer distribution that Fedora Core 1.  I have decided to keep Fedora
Core 2 on both machines.

John