[mythtv-users] [was: Advantages of 2.6 kernel -- SATA now: SATA

KianTeck chua_kianteck at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 12:04:13 EDT 2004

Franco wrote:

>>A bit off topic, but could someone in the know explain whether there are
>>challenges in running SATA on FC1?
>>

>I've asked this question a while ago, but the answers were like
>"install an EIDE hard disk".
>
>Though, I am sure that the FC1 kernel can be compiled with SATA
>support; what I don't know, is how to hack the installation CDs
>to replace the default kernel with my modified kernel.
>
>So I had to switch to FC2 and experience all the related problems :-)
>(i.e., I'm not using myth since many weeks)
>
>If you find a solution, please post it to the list...
>
>Franco

You did not specify which SATA controller you have in your box.
However, if you have the Promise Fastrak 378, stock FC1 does not seem to
like it.  I had my fair share of hair pullings, intially.  Until I found
this:

http://railwave.com/technical/pdc-ultra.php

Again, if you are using the Promise Fastrak 378, you might also want to
download the driver from the Promise website
(http://www.promise.com/support/download/download_eng.asp).  Install the
driver.  It will complain that your kernel might be tainted.  Ignore the
message and continue with the rest of the installation of FC1.  Then
upgrade the kernel to the latest 2.4.x, available at Axel's website.
After the kernel upgrade, it will use the GPL'ed libata and sata_promise
drivers.

Here's few other links which I found useful that helped me to get my
Promise Fastrak SATA to talk to my Seagate SATA drive:
- http://www.linuxforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8004   (see the
comment from bootloader)
- http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/archive/18/2004/02/3/144430

Hope these bits of hints can help you in getting your SATA drive to work.

Cheers
KianTeck