[mythtv-users] Soon to be new user's planned setup

Andy mythtv at gzo.dk
Fri Jun 11 10:34:59 EDT 2004

Hi' all mythtv-users

I am looking into becoming pvr-powered, and think mythtv looks like
the right thing when it comes to features, waf and openness.

So..

Since i start out from absolutely scratch, i have been trawling sites,
forums and docs to find out precisely what i want and what i need to
get it. Here is the description, and any comments, suggestions or
warnings on my plan is VERY welcome..

I already have a headless Linux server in the basement. It is a cel800
and very idle, since it only serves my SliMP3 (Fantastic thing by the
way). I plan to fit it with extra ram and hd and 2 pvr250
(hw-encoding) in order to watch one thing and record another.

I now want a frontend in the livingroom by the tv. It should be small,
as quiet as possible. It will only be used for myth. Since I don't
have any experience at all yet with mythTV, i am not totally sure how
everything works, or what is needed. But i figure some newer small
intel processor (newer and smaller for low powerconsumption, intel for
compability). Perhaps onboard sound and perhaps onboard video. Perhaps
Usb-storage instead of hd for lower noise). I don't mind paying a
small premium to get a prebuild box that fits the description, but am
also willing to build it myself.

Front and back connected with ordinary 100mb ethernet.

Hope you guys have some comments...

Regards
Anders Olsen

BTW: Does the frontend have the nice ui from the screenshots, or is it
webbased or something?