[mythtv-users] Multiple capture cards, single video source, and scheduling

Chris Strom mythtv at eeeCooks.com
Thu Jun 10 11:06:23 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 09:17:27AM -0500, Bob Cottingham wrote:
> Chris Strom said:
> > I know this does not answer your question with regards to scheduling,
> > but whenever I watch live TV, the first thing that I do is switch
> > capture cards (with the `y' key).  I don't do that to get around the
> > scheduling issue, but because my first capture card is a bt878, while my
> > second is a pvr250.
>
> You know you could change the order of the capture cards in the backend
> setup and then you wouldn't have to change cards every time.  You'd have
> to delete the cards first and then reenter them with the PVR250 card
> first. Then reassign the source to the cards. There is a preferences field
> in the capturecard table, which presumably would allow you to adjust the
> card ordering without doing any of the above, but I've never looked at it
> to see if it works.

I did know that ;)

I did it that way on purpose.  I prefer to have closed captioning, which
means bt878 needs to be the first card.  I only watch live TV rarely,
but when I do, I don't want to impact the processor, especially if I'm
watching it on my backend.  So it makes sense to use the pvr250 for live
TV and the occasional conflicting recording.