[mythtv-users] Re: State of IvyTV Fedora Core 2 Support?

David George david at thegeorges.us
Sat Jul 24 07:45:28 EDT 2004

Joe wrote:

>>What do you mean by "if even that fixes the problems completely"? Are
>>you referring to something in that thread, because I didn't see any
>>resolutions in the thread.
>>

>sorry, i linked to the wrong thread :) i actually meant this one:
>http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4961&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fedora

OK, I see now.

>>Anyway, go for it. My only advice is to use a vanilla kernel.org 2.6.7
>>kernel with 8k stacks. Especially if you use Jarod's guide and put your
>>video on an XFS partition.
>>

>would using this vanilla kernel actually have any effect on the os?

Nope, contrary to the 2.4 series the vendor mods to the 2.6 kernels are
very low.  Actually by copying Fedora's kernel config file you are
compiling with the same options as Fedora.  The only thing you won't
have are any additional patches that Fedora used.  None of which (if
any) seem important to a MythTv installation (at least that I have found
anyway).  The make oldconfig will bring up any new questions between
Fedora's shipping config and kernel 2.6.7.

>(other than making ivtv work!). i suppose i don't really understand why
>fedora developers (and users for that matter) are using a kernel with 4k
>stacks when it has caused so many problems. since the 2.6 kernels on
>kernel.org have 8k, is this 4k idea unique to fedora? (if so, it doesnt
>seem like the greatest idea). i'm not using an xfs partition btw (at
>least not yet).

Because 4k stacks are the future of the kernel.  They are optional in
the kernel.org kernels for now, but it has been said that in the future
only 4k stacks will exist.  Fedora is just getting everyone used to it
now.  One of the major distros had to bite the bullet and go first.
Amazingly it affected very few things.  Unfortunately it was everything
that we/I cared about (nVidia, ivtv, and XFS).  BTW, it only
*potentially* affects XFS if your XFS partition gets full.

>also, will things on my (like my nvidia graphics driver) system stop
>working once i install a new kernel (since they were compiled with the
>old one)?

Yes, you will need to recompile the nvidia drivers, but that is a piece
of cake.  There are a couple of things you can do.  Probably the easiest
is to change your init default to 3 (/etc/inittab id:5:initdefault:
change 5 to 3) before rebooting after installing your new kernel.  Once
you've rebooted, install the nVidia drivers, then init 5 to test it.
Don't forget to change your init default back to 5.