[mythtv-users] Re: State of IvyTV Fedora Core 2 Support?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sat Jul 24 04:35:30 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 09:04:00AM +0100, Joe wrote:
> >What do you mean by "if even that fixes the problems completely"? Are
> >you referring to something in that thread, because I didn't see any
> >resolutions in the thread.
>
> sorry, i linked to the wrong thread :) i actually meant this one:
> http://www.shspvr.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4961&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fedora

Hm, I think all issues in this thread have been taken care of by now.

> >Anyway, go for it. My only advice is to use a vanilla kernel.org 2.6.7
> >kernel with 8k stacks. Especially if you use Jarod's guide and put your
> >video on an XFS partition.
>
> would using this vanilla kernel actually have any effect on the os?

Not really.

> (other than making ivtv work!). i suppose i don't really understand why
> fedora developers (and users for that matter) are using a kernel with 4k
> stacks when it has caused so many problems. since the 2.6 kernels on
> kernel.org have 8k, is this 4k idea unique to fedora? (if so, it doesnt
> seem like the greatest idea). i'm not using an xfs partition btw (at
> least not yet).

It is not unique, it is part of the kernel, but Fedora enforces this
"choice", which is a bad policy. ATrpms kernel lift that enforcement
again.

> also, will things on my (like my nvidia graphics driver) system stop
> working once i install a new kernel (since they were compiled with the
> old one)?

Yes.

Just get kernel 2.6.7-1.456_4.rhfc2.at and matching kernel module rpms
and be happy ;)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net