[mythtv-users] Black screen with sound

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 23 23:30:13 EDT 2004

Stephen Atkins wrote:

>Xv drawable is looking like the problem.  I have no problems with getting MythTV
>to work as long as I don't use xine/mplayer/tvtime at all.  Even using
>xine/mplayer from with in Myth makes it so I can't watch TV (black screen).  I'm
>running Gentoo with 2.4.26 kernel.  Just wondering if anyone out there has had
>this problem and how I might go about fixing it.

Now we're getting somewhere.  From this description, it sounds like your
Xv colorkey is giving you problems.  Try running:

xvattr -a XV_AUTOPAINT_COLORKEY -v 1

after using one of these programs.  It should "reset" the stuff that
(your version of Myth) is expecting to be set.  Xine doesn't clean up
after itself--but is not required to according to the Xv API.
Previously it (and most other programs) did, so Myth was written to
expect a "clean slate."

The CVS version of Myth fixes the colorkey problem.  Note, also, that
you can specify an option for xine (and probably the other programs, as
well) to have it automatically paint the colorkey for you.  In
.xine/config add the line

video.xv_autopaint_colorkey:1

You probably have a section like:

# autopaint colour key
# bool, default: 0
#video.xv_autopaint_colorkey:0

in there now.  I suggest adding the line right after this.   It will
work anywhere, but you should only have it defined once (the commented
out line that's probably in there doesn't count).

Mike