[mythtv-users] Is anyone (successfully) using a Nova-T

John Pullan jmp at tarantella.com
Thu Jul 22 05:15:28 EDT 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 09:46 +0100, Mark Howells wrote:
> I've just got to ask ...  - because after several weeks of trying I'm not :(
>
> I have mythtv 0.15.1 installed and can record and play livetv using the card.  However, whenever I change channels, I get loads of continuity errors and correspondingly glitchy video/audio.  If I stop mythtv and restart it again all is well.  Similarly tzap; dvbstream | mplayer works just fine.  It's just mythtv that seems to have the problem.  I guess it's possible that PCI latencies might need looking at - next on my list - but I'm doubtful that is the problem in this case.
>
> I've perused (!) the sources and it looks ike mythtv does much the same to tune the card as tzap, so if there is a problem it could be something to do with buffering the data after a channel change - again, on my list of things to look at, but before I invest lots of time and energy in pulling apart the code, I'd like to know about anyone else's experience with this card under mythtv.
>
> I'm currently using a 2.4.25 kernel, and considering a switch to 2.6.  Opinions?

I've been using a nova-t for some time now. I occasionally see the
symptoms you describe but not consistently. It usually occurs  when I
switch from one mux to another e.g BBC1->ITV2. Exiting live tv and
reentering it seems to clear the problem. I'm not sure what this tells
us though :-|

I might even have seen the problem on initial startup but I'm not
convinced about this. BTW I'm using kernel 2.6.5 so I guess a kernel
upgrade may not help.

Other people have reported similar problems to the list.

Regards
--
John Pullan <jmp at tarantella.com>