[mythtv-users] TV Out quality problems (nvidia)

huffman at graze.net huffman at graze.net
Fri Jul 16 11:02:46 EDT 2004

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I finally got my TV out working (turned out I had defective hardware
> before.)  It's working, but I have two main problems: color and motion.
>
> First, on color.  The picture on the TV appears washed-out -- not enough
> contrast or color, perhaps.  However, the reds are extremely vibrant in
> some instances, so turnnig up the color level control on the TV only
> makes things worse.  I've played with both the TV color controls and the
> color options in the TV and Xv panels of nvidia-settings, but just can't
> seem to get it right.  When I look at the same recordings on a VGA
> monitor or a laptop LCD, they look just fine, so I don't believe my
> PVR-250 capture card is to blame.  (Though I could be wrong.)

I believe there are kernel filters that can be used for this although I'm not
sure what they are.  Either scan this list or scan the nvidia forum (can get
there from www.nvidia.com and go to the linux downloads page - it's on the
left).  I think it was called "adjust" something.  I don't have this problem, so
I haven't actually used the filter.

> Secondly, on motion.  When there is motion -- a panning camera, for
> instance -- things look bad on the TV.  I have tried things without the
> deinterlace or jitter reduction turned on.  When I have those off, I see
> interlacing effects on the TV -- horizontal lines offset from each
> other, like I would expect to see on a VGA screen.  But I do not see
> those effects when watching a signal hooked up directly to the TV.

You are not the only one in this boat unfortunately.  :-(  And I have yet to
find a setup that resolves it.  My only hopes currently lie w/ the CVS version
of myth and the sync patches that Doug Larrick is working on.

Brian